Sunday, September 25, 2011

SOUP: Lemon Chicken Rice Soup

I've had this recipe kicking around in my collection for years. Come to find out, this was in my moms collection and she actually gave it to me. My family loves Lemon Chicken Rice Soup. There was a little Greek family restaurant near where my parents used to live. They used to go there all the time for their Lemon Chicken Rice Soup. We've been searching for a good recipe for years only to find out the perfect one has been right under our noses. I think you'll agree it's special! Thanks, Mom !


LEMON CHICKEN RICE SOUP
6 cups Chicken Broth
1 Chicken bouillon Cube (I used 1 tsp Organic "Better Than Bouillon" Chicken Base)
1/3 cup uncooked rice
1/3 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup cubed, cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from Publix; shredded it)
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
3 eggs
3 TBS lemon juice - or to taste (I used 3 TBS bottled liquid lemon juice & also the juice of 1/2 fresh lemon)
Salt & pepper to taste (didn't need either!)

In a 3 QT soup pot, combine chicken broth, bouillon cube, rice, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken. Remove broth mixture from heat. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in the 2 cups of broth mixture to the butter/flour mixture; cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. In a medium bowl beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in lemon juice and the thickened broth mixture. Slowly add egg mixture to the soup pot, stirring constantly. Heat gently until soup thickens enough to coat a spoon, stirring frequently; do not boil. Salt and pepper to taste.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment