Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mom's Shredded Chicken & Beans: CROCK POT RECIPE

This is what's for dinner tonight. I created this recipe back in July 2008. Enjoy!

Tomato/Bean Mixture before adding chicken













1/2 Jar Salsa (I use Pace Mild or Medium)
1 - 14oz Can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes (you can use regular diced tomatoes)
1 - 14oz Can Cannellini Beans; Drained
1 - 14oz Can Chick Peas; Drained (also called Garbanzo Beans)
1 - Chicken Stock Cube
2 tsp Real Maple Syrup
2 to 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Add salsa, tomatoes, beans, chick peas & maple syrup to the Crock Pot. Crumble in the stock cube and stir. Add the chicken breasts and bury them in the tomato/bean mixture. Cook on low all day. Just before serving, remove the chicken to a plate and shred with two forks (photos to come). Add the chicken back to the pot and stir. I serve this over white or brown rice with shredded cheddar cheese on top but you could try it over baked potatoes (sweet potatoes would be good) or pasta. Leftovers are great the next day served as an open faced sandwich. Just use buttered bread.

UPDATE: It's cooking away and smells so good! Cannot wait. I started the rice in my trusty rice cooker. Tonight I used Jasmati Rice ...Yummy! Time to take the chicken out and shred it.


















Here is the chicken after I shredded it:















The finished product:

4 comments:

  1. LOOKS YUMMY!!! Stephe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds right up my alley. Are you going to post the recipe for "zuchini marrow?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the potatoes today and we all loved them which is a very rare thing in our house. Even Holly liked them and she dislikes potatoes and cheese but now likes parmesan!!

    ReplyDelete