Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chili Con Corny


The secrets out ! Here's my Chili Con Corny Recipe. I learned to make Chili from my mom (aka Grandmama). She made Chili for her family and now I make it for mine. I've been tweaking moms recipe over the years and I made it my own. I've been making my version for years now. My family loves it. I've even been asked to bring my Chili to functions. Everyone seems to look forward to my Chili. No special secrets. Sometimes, just for fun, I'll add a diced potato or two. Most of the time I make very mild Chili and let spicy lovers add their own heat. Last night while we were sitting down to a bowl of my Chili Con Corny, our 4 year old asked me where Chili comes from. Hmmmm? Good question. I looked it up and this is what I found ... No one seems to know! So, I can truthfully tell her, I don't know. Or, maybe I'll just tell her from Mommy and Grandmama - *Wink, Wink* To serve, I crumble saltines in the bottom of a bowl, add a pat of butter, top with the chili and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Hubby likes to use crumbled tortilla chips on the bottom instead of saltines. Enjoy!

Chili Con Corny

1 lb lean ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken (I used ground turkey in this batch)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp Olive Oil
Adobo to taste (+/- 1 tsp)
1 packet Chili Seasoning (mild, medium or hot - I use low sodium)
1 - 15 oz can Light Red Kidney Beans; drained
1 - 15 oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans; drained
1 - 8 oz can Baked Beans (I used Bush's Original)
1 - 8 oz can Sweet Corn; drained
1 - 26 oz box Diced Tomatoes (I use Poma brand)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add in chopped onion and meat. Sprinkle with Adobo and cook till the meat is cooked through. Drain if need be. A little liquid is okay as it has lots of flavor. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn it off and leave it till you are ready to eat, then just reheat. The longer you leave it, the better it is. Serve topped with cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment